Some practical ways to reduce dependence on mains water and reduce your overall water usage include:
Rainwater Harvesting - utilize rainwater from the roof and store in tanks for use inside and outside the home.
Greywater Recycling - treat water from the bathroom (showers, baths and sink) to reuse for flushing toilets, the washing machine and irrigation. A well designed Greywater Recycling System can save up to 40% of potable water and also sewage - you use water twice!
Adopt Water Wise habits - change the way you use water and use efficient products and appliances.
- Look for water efficient units when you buy a new:
- Washing machine
- taps and shower heads
- you'll save over 425 liter a month by spending 2 minutes less in the shower
- plug the bathtub before turning the water on, then adjust the temperature
- a family of 4 can save 94 liters/ week by turning off the tap while brushing the teeth
- turn the water off while you shampoo and condition hair can save more than 180 liters a week
- run the dishwasher only when it is full
- don't use running water to thaw food
much more can be done in and around the hose to be more water efficient, just have a look at your water consumption and have a think about it.